Join our Critter Camp! Does your child love animals? Check out below on how they can be a part of our Critter Camp for kids!
About Critter Camp
Critter Camp is a Day Camp program designed for children ages 7-12 years old who love animals. Camp will be held in the Education Room of the Key West SPCA Shelter during Summer and Holiday Breaks. Critter Camp will provide a fun, educational experience for campers and will add variety and enrichment to the lives of our shelter animals. During camp, children will learn how to safely interact with animals, make fun craft projects such as toys and treats, and receive behind-the-scenes lessons in pet care from our Animal Care, Clinic, and Animal Control teams. In addition, campers will learn from Guest Speakers and take field trips to local animal-focused organizations throughout Key West.
Critter Camp Director is Amina Chaudhry. She holds current certifications in CPR and First Aid and has been Florida DCF background checked to provide child care. Additionally, Amina has over 10 years of experience working in Child Care, Summer Camp, and education. The Florida Keys SPCA performs background checks on all supporting Critter Camp Staff and Volunteers.
For questions and additional information Amina can be contacted directly at Amina@fkspca.org or 305-294-4857.
Virtual Camp Due to COVID-19 we will be hosting a Virtual Camp over the 2020 summer to help keep everyone safe while still providing a fun, learning experience for all kids involved!
Virtual Camp will entail a variety of the same experiences that campers would normally participate in while at the shelter, but through a virtual experience! Volunteer & Humane Education Coordinator Amina will host daily LIVE interactions from 10am-12pm through Zoom Conferencing filled with fun activities, crafts, guest speaker spotlights and more!
Campers will also be sent daily videos of shelter day to day operations such as dog training, a visit to our Dogwood Wellness Clinic, a day in the life of Max, our resident rooster, a visit with reptiles and other activities like following our Animal Control Officer on an Animal Control call! We will also be doing virtual tours with other organizations like the Sheriff's Farm and the Wildlife Center!
Camp fees will be reduced to $50 while we are hosting Virtual Camps.
Each camper will be given their own backpack with the camp's weekly supplies for their activities as well as a schedule of what the LIVE session will entail day to day. They will also be given the details of which shelter operation videos will be released daily.
If you have more than one child that would like their own backpack of supplies, you can add it a la cart below as an additional fee of $15. These backpacks will be available for pick up at our Key West Campus the week before your scheduled camp.
Once you sign up for your week or weeks of virtual camp, Amina will contact you directly with instructions on where to retrieve your videos, the Zoom Call log in information and backpack pick up days & times. While we plan to add new material week to week, there may be some overlap of activities and videos as shelter life can be so unpredictable!
If you should have any questions about our Virtual Camp, please contact Amina directly at Amina@fkspca.org or (305) 294-4857. We look forward to seeing your faces virtually this summer!
2020 Camp Dates:
- Thanksgiving Break: November 23rd-25th
- Winter Break:
- December 21st-23rd
- December 28th-30th
Prices: (*Virtual Camp Pricing is $50 per Week)
- $240 per full 5 day week.
- $45 per day for short weeks or single day camps.
Registration must be paid for the entire number of days that each camp is offered. We cannot shorten full week camps into individual dates.
Multiple child discounts:
- 1st Child- Full Price
- 2nd+ Child(ren)- $5 per day discount ($25 per full week)
- Full registration fee per child must be paid at time of registration to hold your child's spot.
- Camp ages include children 7-12 years old.
- Camp Hours are from 9am-3pm.
- Each camp will have a maximum capacity of 12 children.
- Included: Cost of camp covers all activity materials, transportation to and from field trips, field trip fees, and a camp shirt. Additional shirts can be purchased for $15 each.
- Field Trips will be 1 time per week during Summer Camp.
- Family is expected to provide the following daily:
- Morning & Afternoon Snacks
- Water bottle
- Closed-toed shoes
Refrigeration is available, but please do not pack food items that need to be heated.
- Campers should dress in clothes that are appropriate for active and sometimes messy activities. Appropriate footwear should be closed-toe and non-slip. Athletic shoes are recommended.
- Animal interactions are contingent on many factors. Daily animal interactions will be provided, however, for the safety of both the animals and the children, dog interactions specifically are not guaranteed.
Signing In & Out Policy:
- Children need to be signed in and out of Critter Camp by a parent or guardian every day.
- Please ensure that anyone signing out, including parents, bring a photo ID at pick-up.
- Only people listed on the child’s Authorized Pick-Up List will be allowed to sign a child out of camp. If you need to add or remove someone from the Authorized Pick-Up List, please let Camp Staff know. Anyone under the age of 16 cannot be authorized to sign a child out of Critter Camp.
- Late Policy: Children must be signed out of Critter Camp promptly at 3 pm. After 3:10 pm, a late pick-up fee of $1 per minute will apply.
The following documents MUST be completed and submitted to the FKSPCA via email, fax or in person 5 business days prior to the start of camp date:
Current and Upcoming Registration Dates:
Thanksgiving & Winter Break Registration: Opening TBD Due to COVID-19