Tremendous progress has been made to raise the funds needed to build a new animal shelter in Key West. We have raised $7.7 million in cash and pledge commitments and are now working to raise the remaining $1 million needed to complete the project, which includes architect and engineering fees, permitting fees, landscaping, fixtures and equipment (including a clinic).
There are still a number of terrific naming opportunities available and we need your support! Please join the campaign efforts and invite us to speak at your civic, neighborhood or social group meetings. Please join us in fulfilling the needs of the animals and families we serve in Key West and the Lower Keys.
Our plans call for energy-efficient, hurricane-resistant, environmentally-friendly facility that will offer:
- A comfortable home for the animals in a low-stress environment while they wait for their forever homes.
- A bright, inviting place for the community to visit and adopt animals.
- Separate entrances for those individuals surrendering animals from those individuals adopting animals.
- Separate air-handling systems to prevent the spread of disease.
- Quarantine areas for contagious animals.
- Enough room to house the pets of first-responder emergency personnel who stay behind to help our community in the event of a hurricane.
- Temporary boarding for pets of domestic violence victims, or other emergency situations.
- A state-of-the-art veterinary clinic.
- A community service room for public education or public use.