The Florida Keys SPCA has been operating the Key West animal shelter on Stock Island since 1999. In this time, the FKSPCA has provided essential services to Key West and the Lower Keys. In November 2015, the Florida Keys SPCA assumed the contract for the Middle Keys and now provides animal care services through mile marker 70.
Services Provided Under Contract to Monroe County
- Adoption services
- Animal control, with 24-hour availability
- Cruelty and neglect investigations
- Rabies Vaccinations
Additional Services Provided
- Low-cost and free spay/neuter clinic
- Spay/neuter is the most important step we can take to reduce the number of animals in the shelter.
- Our services are free to those who are unable to afford the fees.
- Our “Pit Fix” program offers free spay/neuter surgeries for Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes
- We offer free spay/neuter surgeries for feral cats through a trap-neuter-return program
- Free behavioral counseling for cats and dogs
- Private pet euthanasia services
- Private cremation of deceased pets
- Community outreach
- Humane Education – FKSPCA reaches out to our community to teach humane animal care and bite prevention.
- Pet Food Pantry –The FKSPCA spearheaded a program for the public to make donations of pet food at various locations in Key West, which are distributed by the Salvation Army.
- Faith Program – FKSPCA houses, for free, the pets of individuals seeking to escape domestic abuse situations.
- 6/60 Program – The FKSPCA adopts, at no charge, an animal six years or older to an individual 60 years or older.